The New Kindle
The latest addition to the Kindle family is newly designed, trimmed down, cheaper version of the Kindle. It does not have a keyboard – as opposed to the Kindle Keybard – and navigation is via a 5-way navigational pad (it’s not touch screen). It’s WiFi only at this stage.
The New Kindle
The new Kindle boasts an updated, elegant design that is slimmer and significantly lighter than the Kindle 3 (now called Kindle Keyboard). This is mainly because Amazon decided to cut the keyboard from the design and deliver a device that is focussed on optimising the digital reading experience!
New Kindle specs at a glance:
- Display: 6″ E Ink display, no glare
- Size: 166 mm x 114 mm x 8.7 mm
- Weight: 170 grams
- On-device Storage: 2GB internal (approximately 1400 books).
- Battery Life: A single charge lasts up to one month with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time.
- Charge Time: Fully charges in approximately 3 hours via the included USB 2.0 cable connected to a computer. U.S. power adapter sold separately.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2.
- USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)
- Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
What’s New In The New Kindle
In a nutshell, the new Kindle is 30% lighter and has a 18% smaller body, whilst mintaining the 6″ screen size. It is eInk – which means you can easily read in the sun without any glare.
Due to the smaller design, the battery was re-sized and inital testing shows that the battery life is less than what you are used to from the Kindle Keyboard.
It is currently also only available in WiFi.
On the upside, the new Kindle does away with the keyboard, which depending on your Kindle usage delivers a less cluttered reading experience.
Buy the new Kindle in South Africa
|Unlike the Kindle Touch or the Kindle Fire, the brand new Kindle ships to South Africa!
Initial demand is very high, so make sure that you order early to avoid any dissappointments!
Prices at app. R 1300, including all shipping and import costs.