| The Kindle Touch is the latest new Kindle release from Amazon and finally brings the much anticipated Touchscreen navigation to the world’s favourite e-reader! With both 3G & WiFi connectivity and full local support of Amazon’s massive bookstore it is the best eReader currently on the market!
The Kindle Touch
After falling behind competitors offering quality touch screen e-readers (most notably Barnes and Noble’s Nook), Amazon has finally released its very own touchscreen enabled Kindle! It features a sleek new updated design but stays true to it’s roots with the quality e-Ink displays that’s made the Kindle what it is today.
Kindle Touch specs at a glance:
- Display: Amazon’s 6″ diagonal E Ink multi-touch display, 600 x 800 pixel resolution at 167 ppi, 16-level grayscale.
- Size: 172 mm x 120 mm x 10.1 mm
- Weight: 213 grams
- On-device Storage: approximately 3 GB available for user content.
- Cloud Storage: Free cloud storage for all Amazon content
- Battery Life: Up to two months with wireless off based upon a half-hour of daily reading time. 6 Weeks with wireless always on.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Supports public and private Wi-Fi networks or hotspots that use the 802.11b, 802.11g, or 802.11n standard with support for WEP, WPA and WPA2 security using password authentication; does not connect to WPA and WPA2 secured networks using 802.1X authentication methods; does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
- 3G Connectivity: HSDPA modem (3G) with a fallback to EDGE/GPRS; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide wireless coverage via AT&T’s 3G high-speed data network in the U.S. and partner networks outside of the U.S.
- USB Port: USB 2.0 (micro-B connector)
- Audio: 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, rear mounted speakers
- Content Formats Supported: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced(AA,AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
What’s New In The Kindle Touch
In terms of look, feel and functionality the Kindle Touch offers pretty much what you would expect from all the other Kindle’s – a sleek, design, non-glare E Ink display and intuitive user interface.
Where it adds a notch is through its Touchscreen navigation – flipping and turning of pages is no longer done with the somewhat dated central navigation buttons but through the latest in E Ink touch technlogy!
An additional benefit from the Kindle Touch technology is that text entry (which was previosuly handled by the Keyboard or more recently by individual character selectin) is greatly simplified and offers capabilites much like you would expect from any modern touschreen device.
Buy Kindle Touch in South Africa
You can order your Kindle Touch directly from Amazon, who will ship it directly to your home within 7 working days! All charges are clearly laid out in the order and there aren’t any additional import duties or tax charges, so you can be sure there are no nasty surprises after the order.
And unlike the Kindle Fire, most features are fully supported by Amazon and there shouldn’t be any issues with accessing content or buying books via the Kindle site.
The Kindle Touch makes a perfect gift this Christmas – just make sure you order early to avoid disappointment as Amazon is known to run out of stock during peak demand periods!